Tuesday, October 30, 2012

First Step in Marawi City

Advance Happy Halloween everybody! I'm gonna share my first time visit in the Islamic City of Marawi. I'm gonna flood you first with some information regarding with the city. Marawi is the capital city of the province of Lanao del Sur which is located in Mindanao. Almost all of the population of the city comprises with purely Maranaos. This city is known for its cool climate because of its high elevation and was called then the Summer Capital of the South. 

I've got all that information in Wikipedia. Obviously, I am empty-headed with Marawi City. I only heard it from my friends but I knew the city, the name of the city only. I really don't have any idea on how does it look. Actually, even if I am Maranao, going in this city, startled me also. There was a recent bad incident happened that's why I am a little bit afraid.

On our way, I feel so dizzy. The road was like forming a zigzag pattern. The trip was about 45 minutes if riding on your own service. But I guess my head will spin more all around if I will be on a passengers jeep which will take for about an hour. Even in the car, I really was about to puke but I tried to endure it. By the way, I was with my thesis mates Daina and Haffy along with her brother who volunteered to drive us on our destination and he also let her two classmates hitch on us. Inside the car, it was like sitting inside the church. I can't heard any voice from anyone. Everybody was in a solemn mode. Maybe we were not acquainted that much except for my thesis mates.

At the front of the Schools Division Superintendent Office, Marawi City 

Our purpose on going to Marawi City is to go to the office of the division superintendent to let her signed our letter asking for permission in allowing us to conduct our thesis study in some selected schools in the said city. Luckily, we had accomplished our goals for that day. The superintendent issued us an indorsement that will be given then to the individual principals of the three selected schools.

A photo together with Dr. Mona Macatanong, the school division superintendent. 

Angoyao Central Elementary School

During lunch, we stayed at the store of Haffy's aunt. Daina and I was overwhelmed to see many chocolates and empty calorie foods. We're fond of eating those which is unhealthy. We bought some snacks to be eaten when we came back in Iligan City. Her aunt served us pater which costs for only Php15.00. That was palatable anyways but it was too spicy for me. I enjoyed eating the yellow rice instead which was added by powderized turmeric. 

Front View of the Store. The image was corrupted or maybe was not uploaded correctly. Sorry





Chatting together with Daina while waiting for Mamay.

Smile Taguroo

To sum up my observations and correct my expectations, I was really disappointed with Marawi. I thought the city was really a city. My expectations were too much. I observed that the commercial buildings, establishments, elegant houses, restaurants and squatter's area are put together. They were mixed in a single area. It was like standing in a city and afterwards you feel like in a barrio again. The climate their was really cold which made me chill the whole trip.

We go to the positive sides of the city also. I was really speechless and astonished to see the beauty of the MSU main. The state university's golf was like a little Baguio. You can see pine tree along the side of the road. I was unable to catch up some pictures because it was raining hardly. Next time, we must go there in a good weather condition. We planned to go there this coming Sunday.

I edited some of the pictures.


No comments :

Post a Comment