Thursday, March 14, 2013

Welcome Back: 1st Shift Practice Teaching

I welcome myself again to the world of blogging. After how many months of concentrating in school because of the many requirements I can manage now to at least post a blog. For now I am going to post my narrative report in my three cooperating teachers.

Experience is really the best teacher. This was what I’ve realized after staying up more than seven weeks at Dona Juana Actub Lluch Memorial School, my cooperating school. I have encountered unexpected experiences which I never thought I would come across in my Practice Teaching. When I take my first step in the school, seeing those old buildings found merely at the back of the school, I undoubtedly concluded that this school must not be performing well. But this impression changes after spending more time imparting my knowledge to the schools starting from the pupils’ performance, teachers’ competitiveness, and school’s achievements. 

My first shift cooperating teacher was Enerio E. Ebisa, Ph.D in grade five. I was not expecting to have a male cooperating teacher. Back from IIT, I only envision collaborating with a female teacher in my practice teaching. When I first met him during our orientation, I was really startled because of his strict look. I thought he was not approachable because men are somewhat like introvert person. It also popped in my mind at that time that getting along with Sir Ebisa would be difficult for me and it will be a big problem having a male cooperating teacher. 

In my first day, I observed many good qualities about Sir Ebisa. My first impressions towards him were all gone. I never thought of a teacher like him being closely attached with his pupils yet he still maintains the necessary gap between a pupil-teacher relationships. He maintains a good rapport between him and his pupils. But despite of being too close he also manages to gain the respect from every pupil. He is very innovative. In order to maintain higher attendance in the class, he uses log book system to his pupils. The reason behind it was he always acknowledges the first person who comes to class very early. Through this kind of system, every pupil are motivated and encouraged to go to school early. According to him, the number of pupils who are always late was reduced. Cleanliness of the classroom is always preserved. Sir Ebisa is also very talented. He even knows gardening. 

In terms of teaching strategies, I salute him for having implementing always the best techniques in every lesson he presented. He can fully get the attention of his pupils in his discussion. Sir Ebisa also is not usual and a typical teacher. In every lesson, he always make sure that he always give examples in a real life situation in order for his pupil to fully understand his topic. He does not teach plainly but instead he makes the class lively and participative. Values education is given emphasize in his lesson. But there was one thing I dislike about how he teaches Math. I am not certain if it is his strategies in the whole school year. Everytime they have a problem solving in the said subject, he does not let the pupils write their solution instead they were told to answer it directly. But maybe he was just doing it that way because of the upcoming MTAP competition. He is more on letting the pupils speak up in class which is an excellent strategy to boost out the self-confidence of the pupils in speaking. 

During my final demonstration, he accompanied me all throughout with my co-interns. He was actually handling three practice teachers including me. He never fails us in terms of giving suggestions and constructive comments in our final lesson plan for the demonstration. I can say that Sir is indeed having high standards. He will not let us demonstrate with just simple and nasty visual aids. He always reminds us that instructional materials are also factor of the pupils learning process. 

I am very grateful having Sir Ebisa as my cooperating teacher. I have learned a lot from him. I salute him having already a doctorate degree at a young age. He inspires me to study harder in order for me to achieve my goals in life. Indeed, I want to be like him. I want to be a competent and effective teacher like him molding the minds of the youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @soratemplates